Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

In the blink of an eye

One week ago today Drew went in for what we thought would be a standard wisdom teeth removal. Little did we know it would be so much more. 

We woke up and were both feeling a little anxious about the day.  It would be the first time Sierra would be left home alone in her crate and Drew would have 3 wisdom teeth pulled.  I kept telling myself that wisdom teeth removal was no big deal and I was an excellent nurse when it came to wisdom teeth patients.  For some reason I always get suckered into taking people to get their wisdom teeth removed.  Remind me to tell you about the time I had to drive my brother home after his were removed.

Back to the husband... After sitting in the waiting room for 3 hours his doctor came and got me but had "the look" on his face.  I had an uneasy feeling during the whole process and that look confirmed it.  They took me back to his room which was crowded with doctors, nurses, and sounding alarms and explained that they had "accidentally" cut his nerve while they were removing his lower right tooth.  As I stood their in shock next to my dazed husband they proceeded to tell me he would probably never again have feeling in his lower right teeth, jaw, and lip. The next few hours were a blur of wondering what the nerve controlled and how it would change our lives.  

Thankfully my really smart cousin Doctor Nate was able to coach us with talking to the doctors. Thanks to his questions we found out they had completely severed his lower right Inferior Alveolar nerve which controls the feeling in his teeth, lip, and jaw.  
  

Please don't mind Mustache March... 
I swore kisses were for shavers but now I have to kiss him for research.  
Fast forward a few days and he still has most of his feeling except for in one tooth.  At this point the doctors are saying either the big man upstairs is taking care of him or he still may loose it within the next 2-4 weeks. If he does loose the feeling it could be gone for 6 months to the rest of his life.

Some how him joking that we can call him droopy* or how funny it is to not feel kisses has lightened the mood in our home and made me love him all the more.

We asked for an Adventure and we sure are getting one.  Maybe not the one we had in mind but this one is teaching us to love, pray, and roll with the punches (Drew has the bruises to prove it).

With Love, Mr Messinger's Nurse

*We now have learned that he will not have a droopy face! Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.